By Laws of Old Bridge Soccer League, Inc.
A Corporation Not for Profit
Article I: Purpose
The Purpose of the Old Bridge Soccer League, Inc. (herein after referred to as OBSL) is to provide opportunities for the youth of the Township of Old Bridge to learn and play the sport of Soccer, by providing opportunities to play on Recreational and Travel Teams, and opportunities to participate in Soccer related activities.
Article II: Offices
The Corporation may have such offices as the Board of Directors may require. (The principal office shall be located at Ticetown Field, Ticetown Road, Old Bridge, NJ. The Board of Directors, shall obtain, maintain and publish the mailing address of a post office box in the Township of Old Bridge for the receipt of all Official League Correspondence. The mailing address of the League shall be:
Old Bridge Soccer League, Inc.
P.O. Box 5277, Old Bridge, NJ 08857
Article III: Members
1) The eligibility and qualifications for membership and the manner of and admission into membership shall be proscribed by resolutions duly adopted by the Board of Directors of the Corporation or by such rules and regulations as may be proscribed by the Board of Directors. All such rules resolutions or rules and regulations relating to members adopted by the Directors of the Corporation shall be affixed to the By Laws of the Corporation and shall be deemed to be a part thereof. Such resolutions or rules and regulations adopted by the Board of Directors may prescribe, with respect to all members, the amount and manner of imposing and collecting any initiation fees, assessments, fines and penalties, the manner of suspension and termination of membership, and the reinstatement of membership, and except as may hereinafter otherwise be provided, the rights, liabilities and other incidents of membership.
- The Board of Directors may cause to be issued certificates, cards or other instruments permitted by law evidencing membership in the Corporation. Such membership certificate, card or other instrument shall be non-transferable, and a statement to that effect shall be noted on the
- certificate, card or other instruments. Membership Certificated, cards or other instruments, if issued, shall bear the signatures or facsimile signatures of an officer or officers designated by the Board of Directors and may bear the seal of the Corporation or a facsimile thereof.
- GENERAL MEMBERSHIP. General Membership shall be granted to all registered players and adult volunteers. (Membership shall continue until such time as a player has NOT registered for three consecutive seasons or an adult volunteer has not actively participated for three consecutive seasons.)
- VOTING MEMBERSHIP. Each registered team (recreational and travel) will have one (1) vote on all matters presented for a vote to the membership. The team vote shall have its vote cast by the Team Coach. In the absence of the Coach, the vote shall be cast by the Assistant Coach. If neither of these can be present, a parent or other team representative, may with written authorization, cast the team vote. The team representative must be present to cast the team vote.
- MEMBERSHIP FEES. The Board of Directors, shall, prior to the registration for each Soccer Season, determine the fees necessary to register for that season. In setting said fees, the Board shall consider the costs of uniforms, equipment, referees, tournaments, field maintenance and other expenses necessary for the continued operation of the league.
In addition, the Board of Directors shall determine if fundraising activity and/or work bond is necessary for the continued operation of the league. In the event the Board determines that such fundraising or work bonds are necessary, it shall set forth the requirements for such activities or bonds and all members shall be required to participate in these programs.
6. GENERAL RULES.
A. All players and parents shall abide by the rules of the sport as interpreted by the referees. Members participating in Travel Soccer shall also abide by all rules and regulations promulgated by the Carding Organization for the league or flight in which they participate.
B. All players, coaches and parents of the League (recreational and travel) must adhere to the Athletic Code of Conduct and the Coaches Code of Ethics adopted by the OBSL in accordance with the Ordinance of the Township of Old Bridge.
C. Any player, parent or coach who fails to abide by these rules, or who receives a red card at a game, may be required to provide to the Board of Directors, a satisfactory reason why such member should not be barred from participating in the league program.
- SUSPENSION. Members who do not fulfill their registration requirements, including posting of any required work bond, or fundraising participation, can be suspended by the Board. In addition, members who do not abide by the rules of the sport, and/or the Athletic Code of Conduct, and/or the Coaches Code of Ethics as indicated in #6 General Rules, can at the complaint of a coach or referee, be suspended by the Board.
- SPECIFIC RULES. Specific Rules shall be promulgated by the Committees set up by the Board of Directors pertaining to the various aspects of league operation. Such rules shall be provided to the general membership in accordance with their participation in the league. Each team shall be provided with the rules for their age division and/or the travel league in which they participate.
Article IV: Meeting of Members of Old Bridge Soccer League, Inc.
- ANNUAL MEETING. An annual meeting of the membership shall be held during the month of September through November in each year beginning with the current calendar year. The Board of Directors shall determine the date, time and place of the meeting. The meeting will be for the purpose of holding elections and for the transactions of such other business as may come before the meeting.
- SPECIAL MEETINGS. Special Meetings of the members may be called by the Chairperson or the Board of Directors.
- NOTICE OF MEETINGS. Written notice shall be mailed and or emailed to each voting member, as well as posted at Ticetown Field and on the OBSL official league web site. Not less than ten (10) days not more than sixty (60) days notice shall be provided before the date set for the annual meeting, and not less than five (5) days before the date of any special meeting.
Such notice shall state the place, day and time of the meeting. Notice for an Annual meeting shall state that the meeting is being called for holding elections and for the transactions of such other business as may properly come before the meeting. Notices of Special Meetings shall state the purpose or purposes for which the meeting is called.
Any meeting of the members may be adjourned from time to time. In such event, it shall not be necessary to provide further notice of the time and place of the adjourned meeting if announcement of the time and place of the adjourned meeting is given at the meeting is so adjourned.
- QUORUM. At least one-third (1/3) of the voting membership must be present at any membership meeting before business may be conducted. However, if a quorum is not present a majority of the members present may adjourn the meeting from time to time without further notice.
- VOTING. At all meetings, except for the election of officers or directors, the membership will vote by a showing of hands. Written ballots will be used for all elections and when otherwise requested by a simple majority of members present. Any member may vote by a written proxy.
Article V: Board of Directors (Trustees)
- GENERAL POWERS. The affairs of the Corporation shall be managed by its Board of Directors. Directors do not need to be a member of the Corporation.
- BOARD MEMBERS. The number of Board Members shall be 11. Each Director shall hold office until his or her successor is elected at an annual meeting of the membership, and duly qualified, subject to earlier termination as determined by the membership at their annual meeting. All Board Members must be a resident of Old Bridge Township or resided in Old Bridge when elected to board. A recorded Deed with the Middlesex County Clerk can serve as proof of residency as well as a copy of the Old Bridge Township tax bill or a legal Lease of Residency. (currently being revised 12/2017)
Directors shall be elected for a two year term, and the terms will be staggered, with five of the eleven Directors being elected in the "even years", and the remaining six being elected in the "odd" years.
- REGULAR MEETINGS. The Board of Directors shall hold their regular monthly meeting immediately after and at the same place and time as the annual meeting of the members. All other regular monthly meetings will be held at Ticetown Fields. The Board may provide for additional regular meetings to be held without notice.
- SPECIAL MEETINGS. The Chairperson or any two Directors may call for a special meeting of the Board and fix the time and place for such meetings.
- NOTICE. Directors shall be notified of any special meetings by advance notice in writing which shall be sent by mail, email or personally delivered at least 3 days before the time set for the meeting. The notices may be sent to the addresses as shown on the records of the Corporation. Lack of Notice is waived by a written waiver or attendance at the meeting without protest.
- QUORUM. A majority of the Directors must be present in order to conduct business. However, a majority of those present may adjourn the meeting from time to time without any further notice.
- VACANCIES. Any vacancy on the Board may be filled by the affirmative vote of a majority of the remaining directors, even if less than a quorum of the Board. A Director so elected to fill a vacancy shall complete the unexpired term of his or her predecessor in office.
- If additional Directors are to be elected to increase the size of the Board, this shall be done by election at the annual meeting of the membership.
- COMPENSATION. The Board may provide that a salary or other compensation be paid to any director or other employee for his or her services. The Board may also provide by resolution, that any corporate agent be indemnified for expenses and costs, including legal fees which were necessarily incurred in connection with any claim asserted against him or her by reason or his or her being or having been a corporate agent. However, no indemnification shall be allowed if the Director was guilty of misconduct regarding the matter in which indemnity is sought.
- REMOVAL. The Board of Directors may remove any director at any time, if in its judgment, the best interest of the Corporation would be served thereby. However, Directors and officers elected by the membership may not be fully removed except by the membership, but the authority and voting power of the Director or officer to act as a Director or officer may be suspended by the Board for Cause.
Article VI: Officers
1. OFFICERS. The officers of the Corporation shall be as follows:
Any two or more offices may be held by the same person except the offices of Chairperson and Secretary. The officers of the Corporation shall have the authority to act on behalf of the Corporation resolving any issue that needs immediate attention on a temporary basis. The officers shall be required to immediately notify the entire Board of Directors of all circumstances involving the issue and the temporary action that was taken so a final resolution can be decided at the very next meeting or at an emergency meeting..
- TERM. The initial officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors at their organizational meeting. Thereafter, the Officers shall be elected annually by the Directors at their annual meeting. Vacancies may be filled at any meeting of the Board of Directors. Each Officer shall remain in office until his or her successor is elected and qualified, subject to earlier termination by removal or resignation.
- CHAIRPERSON. The Chairperson shall be the principal officer of the Corporation and shall supervise all of the business and affairs of the Corporation. The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the membership and the Board of Directors.
- CO-CHAIRPERSON. The Co-Chairperson shall perform the duties of the Chairperson in the absence of the Chairperson or in the event of the Chairperson’s inability or refusal to act.
- SECRETARY. The Secretary shall keep the minutes and records of the Corporation in appropriate books, see that all notices are given in accordance with these By-Laws, keep the seal of the Corporation and affix the same to corporate documents, keep a list of all members and their mailing addresses and, in general, perform all the duties incidental to the office of Secretary and such other duties as may be requested by the Chairman or the Board of Directors.
- TREASURER. The Treasurer shall have charge and custody of and be responsible for all funds and securities of the Corporation, and, in general, perform all the duties incidental to the office of Treasurer and other duties as may be requested by the Chairperson or Board of Directors.
Article VII: Committees
COMMITTEES. The Board of Directors may, by resolution of a majority of the Board, establish committees chaired by a Director to conduct the management of the Corporation. Other committees shall be established consisting of members of the Corporation. All Committees shall function in accordance with the rules and procedures established by the Board of Directors.
Article VIII: Seal
SEAL. The seal of the Corporation shall be in the form affixed immediately below.
Article IX: Amendments
These By -Laws, Resolutions and Rules may be amended, repealed or exceptions made to them only by an affirmative vote of at lease fifty (50%) percent of those present at a meeting of the membership called for the purpose of acting upon such amendment (provided that a quorum is present).
Pursuant to Article VII of the By -Laws of the Old Bridge Soccer League, Inc., the Board of Directors hereby resolved and established the following committees for the management of the corporation. Said committees shall be headed by a Director of the League, and each committee head shall hold such position for the term of his or her directorship
- FUND RAISING/WORKBOND. Said committee shall be formed to run the appropriate fund raising efforts of OBSL. All activities selected by said committee shall be presented to the Board of Directors at one of its regularly scheduled meetings for approval by the Board. The head of the Fund Raising/Work bond Committee shall prepare and submit a written budget for the following fiscal year during January through March,.
- TRAINING. Said committee shall be formed to run all camp programs, training programs, licensing programs, and other educational soccer related programs, subject to the Training Policy, as approved by the Board of Directors at a regularly scheduled meeting. The head of the Training Committee shall prepare and submit a written budget for the following fiscal year during January through March.
- UNIFORMS AND PROCUREMENT. Said committee shall be formed to obtain all necessary sport equipment and uniforms for the soccer program, subject to the Purchasing Policy, as approved by the Board of Directors.
- CONCESSION. Said committee shall be formed to oversee the operation of the concession stand at Ticetown fields and any other location utilized by OBSL for its activities. Said committee shall provide the board a regular statement of profit and loss on all its activities, and shall deposit all monies in excess of those needed for the current operation of the facilities, as such monies become available. Committee head is responsible for scheduling work bond personal in conjunction with the league’s Fundraiser/Work bond Committee, in order to maintain ample coverage of concession locations as required by the operation of said facilities..
- FIELD MAINTENANCE. Said committee shall be responsible for the maintaining of the Fields at Ticetown Road, and the equipment necessary to perform such maintenance. In addition, said committee shall be responsible for the setting up and breaking down of said fields, including but not limited to the construction of the goals, lining of the fields, or other activities necessary for the playing of soccer.
Said committee shall also be responsible for the obtaining of any permits required by the township for the use of Field space, and/or gym space for the running of any soccer programs. The said Committee shall prepare and submit a written budget for the following fiscal year during January through March. Committee head is responsible for scheduling work bond personal in conjunction with the league’s Fundraiser/Work bond Committee, in order to
maintain ample coverage of field work responsibilities as required by the operation of said facilities.
- RECREATION. Said Committee shall be responsible for the recreational soccer program, the scheduling of games, subject to the Recreational Policy as established by the Board of Directors, including but not limited to the forming of teams and special programs. The said committee will be equitably split between two elected Directors with each Director maintaining a separate committee for his or her portion thereof. The head of the Recreational Committees shall prepare and submit a written budget for the following fiscal year during January through March.
- REGISTRATION. Said Committee shall be responsible for the establishment of all membership registration procedures, subject to the approval of the full Board of Directors. The committee shall also be responsible, in coordination with the League Treasurer, for the collection of all membership fees, including the collection of Work Bond Monies and Uniform Fees, as necessary. The committee shall establish registration dates, including times and places. Upon the completion of the registration for a given season, the registration committee shall work with the Recreation and Travel Committees for the formation of Team rosters. The head of the Registration Committee shall prepare and submit a written budget for the following fiscal year, during January through March.
- TRAVEL. Said Committee shall be responsible for the organization and administration of the Travel Soccer Program, subject to Travel Policy as enacted by the Board of Directors, including but not limited to the player tryouts, games schedule, acceptance of coaching applications, carding of approved players and coaches , and attendance at State League Meetings (i.e. MOSA and Mid Jersey)
Travel Review Board
The Director of Travel will organize the Travel Review Board by August 1 of each year. The Board will consist of a total of six (6) members, three (3) OBSL Board of Directors (one being the Director of Travel) and three (3) coaches or assistant coaches. The term of the Director of Travel will be the length of the Director’s term. The term of each of the other members will be one travel season as defined. The definition of season for the purposes of this paragraph is one full soccer year from August 1 to July 31. The members shall be selected to this committee by the July regular monthly meeting of the Board of Director’s. There will be alternates selected as required when there is a conflict of interest, to be determined by the Director of Travel and one of the Board of Directors serving on the Travel Review Board. At no time can the composite of this committee be less than three (3) OBSL Board members.
This committee’s charter is to review issues listed within the Travel Policy, and make decisions on those issues. If the Travel Review Board cannot resolve the issue by a majority vote, the issue will be forwarded to the OBSL Board of Director’s for final disposition.
General Rules And Resolutions Adopted By The Board of Directors
- Participation in Old Bridge Soccer League: Participation in Youth Soccer is open to any resident who meets the age requirement at the time of registration (said age requirement is the age of 4 1/2) Any change to the age requirement shall be voted on by the Board of Directors prior to registration.
- Each participant shall be assigned to a team by the Program Committee for the program which the participant has registered. Recreational participants will be assigned to a team upon meeting all league qualifications, including payment of all league fees. Travel registrants will be assigned to a team on the basis of a skills tryout and after all league requirements have been met. If a Travel registrant does not pass the skills tryout, he or she, if they so choose, will be assigned to a recreational team.
- A birth certificate, passport, or alien registration card, or copy thereof, shall be sufficient for proof of age.
- Children who have sustained an injury or had an illness requiring medical care shall be required to provide a Doctor’s note prior to resuming practice or game participation.
- The League shall not bar participation in the league on the basis of a child’s race, creed, sex or color. In the case of a registrant who has a physical condition which creates a potential for injury to the child or other participants, the League has the right to request that the parents provide a letter from the child’s physician certifying that the child is physically fit and able to participate in rigorous physical activity. In the event that a Child is significantly larger or smaller (physically) than the other children in the appropriate age group, and such size difference creates a substantial risk of injury to the player or other players in the age group, the league can a) refuse to allow the child to play, or b) if space is available and the parents consent in writing, move the child into another age group where the physical risk is minimized. Option B shall only be available where there are available spaces in the prospective age division.
- Any complaints regarding a Coach or Referee shall be made in writing, and given to the League Secretary. Upon receipt, the Secretary shall convene a committee of at least three board members to investigate the facts of said complaint. The committee shall review the complaint and determine what action, if any, they recommend, within one week of being convened. Upon issuing their recommendation, the committee shall call for a special board meeting to present their recommendations for Board approval and/or action. The results of said action shall be given to the complainant within 30 days of the Secretary’s receipt of the complaint.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS CANNOT ACT ON A COMPLAINT THAT IS NOT GIVEN IN WRITING, SIGNED BY THE COMPLAINANT, AND THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN SUFFICIENT INFORMATION TO EXPLAIN THE COMPLAINT. THIS IS TO PROTECT OUR COACHES, AND REFEREES AND DIRECTORS FROM UNFOUNDED, AND UNDOCUMENTED PERSONAL ATTACKS.
7. The mailing address of the League shall be:
Old Bridge Soccer League, Inc. PO Box 5277 Old Bridge, NJ 08857
- The Recreation Committee may select a Volunteer to act as a Division Representative for each age division in which the league will be fielding recreational teams. It shall be the divisional representative’s responsibility to act as a liaison between the teams in their division and the recreation committee. The Divisional representative may also act as a coach in the recreational program. In the event that the Divisional representative is not a coach, the Divisional representative will be allowed one vote on all issues coming up for election at the annual meeting, held in November.
- All recreational teams will be conducted on the basis of a blind draft, except that the children of the team coaches are expected to play on the parent’s team. Additionally, recreational players who are also carded travel players shall not be placed on teams, via a blind draft, but shall be allotted evenly among the teams in their recreational division.
- All recreational coaches will be selected by the recreation committee prior to the selection of the Division Representative.
- Once a child has been assigned to a team, a refund of league fees will not be given, unless approved by the registration committee and treasurer.
- In all seasons where a work bond is required, the team coach, assistant coach and the division representative, shall be deemed to have fulfilled their work bond.
- A player shall not be allowed to play simultaneously for more than one team, in a particular program (Travel or Rec.), during the same season.
- The selection of any "ALL STAR" team and said coaching staff, shall be arranged in conjunction with the All-Star Policy.
- The Recreational Committee shall provide to each coach a copy of the Game rules for the age division and the Coaches Code of Conduct. It is the coach’s responsibility to ensure that all players, coaches, and parents observe and obey all rules. Any player, parent, or coach who fails to observe these rules, or who is carded by the referee shall be reported to the Board of Directors who shall review the infraction and decide on any additional action deemed appropriate.
- The Director of Fields in conjunction with the Directors of Recreation may cancel the game(s) due to poor weather or field conditions. Thereafter, when the team reaches the playing
field, the referee in conjunction with a director shall exercise their judgment and authority in deciding that:
The condition of the field is fit for play.
The weather conditions are acceptable for play to start or continue.
The equipment of the player is acceptable.
- No player shall be allowed to play without appropriate footwear and shin guards. Jewelry shall not be worn at any time, by a player during the course of a game.
- A coach may discipline a player by not allowing the player to play in a game. The player’s parents shall be notified prior to the day of the game. If the player comes to the game dressed to play, the opposing coach and referee must be notified prior to the game that the player is not being allowed to play. In the event a coach wants to bench a player for more than one game, he or she must get approval from the director of recreation for that particular age group, prior to taking such action.
- No coach shall remove/suspend a player from a recreational team if the child is a discipline problem or doesn’t attend practices or games. Any coach who wishes to remove a player must get approval of the Board of Directors prior to notifying the Child’s parents and the player. If a coach does not follow this procedure, he or she will be automatically suspended from the League. The suspension will be reviewed by the Board of Directors.
- All participants in League play shall be required to wear a uniform.
- Coaches, players, officers, parents, and guests are only allowed to observe or take part in or attend matches on the conditions that they observe the rules, regulations and by-laws of this league. Any player, coach, parent, or guest who is guilty of a violent or serious foul play or use of foul or abusive language will be suspended from playing, managing, coaching, or attending games.
- Each registered recreational player shall be provided with a Team Uniform. The components of the uniform (i.e. shirt, socks, shorts, etc.) shall be determined by the league. The uniform may vary from season to season, however a minimum uniform of a Team Shirt shall be provided in all seasons.
- In the event that questions that arise, not covered by the precise language of these rules, The Board of Directors, shall at all times, accept the responsibility of interpreting the rules and making decisions in accordance with the best interest of the league.
- All registrations must be confirmed by the registration committee before they are deemed to be effective and a player can be placed on a team roster.
- No refunds for registration shall be given without the approval of the head of the Registration Committee.
- Registration fees shall be approved annually by the Board of Directors.
- It is resolved that the OBSL will reimburse the cost for any OBSL soccer coach who takes and successfully completes an E or F license course. The amount of such reimbursement shall be limited to the amount charged by the state for any such course. OBSL will not reimburse for any charges over and above the state fee, and any reimbursement will only be given upon the coach providing proof of successful completion of the course.
- It is the policy of OBSL to provide a free clinic program to all registered OBSL recreational players. This clinic generally runs weeknight, through the Fall/Spring (approx. 8 weeks).
- The OBSL has adopted a policy of running a soccer camp at the Ticetown fields each summer.
- Travel training funds provide by the OBSL shall be set annually by the Board. These funds must be utilized for the payment of Board approved trainers only.
- For a trainer to be considered for approval by the Board, the following five items are required a) travel qualification form. b) Kidsafe form. c) W-9 form. d) copy of certificate of insurance. E) copy of coaching license.
- Director of Training shall establish a recreational coaches training clinic prior to the start of the Fall and Spring season.
The following is the policy of the Old Bridge Soccer League Inc. with regards to purchases of goods and services.
Objective: To obtain the best possible value for goods and services. The value attached to any purchase is the relationship of the price paid to such factors as availability and quality of the goods and services, and the reliability and dependability of the vendor.
Responsibility: Prior to the commitment of League funds, the Director of Procurement (or the Director involved with the particular purchase) is responsible for securing and evaluating bids or negotiating terms of the purchase.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Requirements for Obtaining Competitive Bids:
- Competitive bids are required for ALL purchases over $2,500.
- When soliciting bids, a formal specifications requirement sheet should be sent to all prospective bidders with a due date for signed returned bid. Included in the specification sheet should be requirement of delivery date of goods including financial penalties for not meeting these deadlines, brand names, quantities, any special requirements (e.g. payment requirements), etc. The signed bid should become part of the purchase order to be signed by the League and the Vendor when the goods are ordered.
- The number of quotations secured should in all cases be adequate to ensure to a reasonable extent that the best value is being obtained. At a minimum, three quotations should be requested.
- The vendor with the lowest bid should be selected to supply the goods or services being sought. If the selection of the vendor is not the lowest bidder then the reasons for selecting a vendor whose bid was not the lowest should be explained to the board for approval.
The only exception to the bidding process is when dealing directly with a manufacturer or when the goods or services are available from only one vendor.